Sunday, May 1, 2011

Phillip & Clyde - Project Synopsis

For my project I will be writing and illustrating a storybook. I will draw all the characters and the backgrounds in Photoshop, and layout the images with text in In Design, at which point the book will be printed and bound.

My story is about a boy and his dinosaur friend who go on an adventure. They go deep beneath their house in an attempt to find the mouse that has stolen his mothers ring. Eventually they end up at a great stone hall, where a fat rat king sits on his throne amongst his stolen treasures. Phillip challenges the king to a game to win his mother’s ring back, which he wins quickly. Afterwards, the king starts to cry, and we find out that he was just lonely. The boy and dinosaur befriend the king, and then leave. When they return to the house, his mother doesn’t believe the story, and the boy begins to doubt it himself. The story ends with him finding a thank you note left by the king, and smiling to himself.

I want to explore the themes of: perspective and imagination, in the way the boy views the world differently from his mother; character motivation, in how the king acts and how he changes after his motivations are changed.
Mostly I want to make a fun, exciting story.

The layout is freeform, consisting of images of varying sizes and shapes, and text of different sizes and fonts, placed in a different combination on every page. I have chosen this dynamic because I believe it can be used to create an effective storytelling method.

No comments:

Post a Comment